Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Feelings on the Whole Thing...

...or Not

Since the Chik-fil-a President, Dan Cathy, came out in defense of traditional marriage, I have seen enough of people's opinions on the subject to fill the Library of Congress (twice).  I promise you this post is not my personal feelings on the matter, although I have really wanted to share my thoughts and feelings on the controversy, I can't think of a respectful way to do so.  Until I can present them in a respectful manner, I keep my feelings [mostly] quiet.  My husband said I should say something, because I do feel so strongly and he's probably tired of listening to my rants, but I just never could.  Matter of fact, I have started and surreptitiously deleted about 4 blog posts in the last few months.

Today, during one of my few [and far between] quiet moments, while I was reading on the amazing freedom that we have through Christ Jesus, I found this little nugget of scripture.  I've read the verse before, but I just love how the Word of God presents itself as new and fresh in times like these.

Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor (1 Peter 2:17a)

I guess that pretty much sums it up, not my feelings on the subject of marriage equality, but my feelings on the whole controversy.  We haven't been treating each other with very much respect and I think a little respect would go a long way in helping us to (in the very least) live with our differences.

The truth of the matter is, I don't have to agree with your system of beliefs, your point of view, your political opinions or your choice of life partner...but I do have to show you respect.

Honestly, I may not respect your system of beliefs, your point of view, your political opinions or your choice of life partner...but I WILL show YOU respect.

I realized today, that what angers me the most is that we [in general] see the issue so clearly, but we neglect to see the people behind the issue.  When we spout our rhetoric, we seem to forget that there are people who are being so disrespected by our words.

My beliefs on the subject are mine, and they will stay that way until I can share them without hurting a single person.  I will vote my convictions, I will pray for my friends, my family, my neighbors and my nation, and I will show proper respect to others.  I only ask that you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think, and honestly sometimes I need the encouragement.