Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Easy, Grain Free Breakfast Sandwich

Like a lot of families, the Heislers have the joy of navigating life with food allergies.

Maclain is severely allergic to wheat and soy.

I am allergic to wheat and legumes.

This makes for fun eating.  We've pretty much given up on bread because of all the fun things we have to avoid.  When you buy a gluten free bread at the store it is likely to contain ingredients like fava flour or garbanzo flour.  While some of them are very yummy, they really aren't worth the expense or irritation that comes from eating them.

For about 2 years, I've been searching for a gluten free, soy free, legume free bread recipe that I can do at home.  If it's convenient, then that is even better.  The other day, I found this on Pinterest and seriously thought it was too good to be true.  Paleo bread, in the microwave!  I can make a single serving at once, which means I'm not wasting ingredients (which aren't cheap) or effort on a loaf of bread that will go bad in my fridge

I made a single serving a few days ago, and started thinking about all the yummy ways we can use this bread.

Then, I decided to try it out on my picky kids.

There are five of us, so one batch at a time wasn't going to work.  I got out my mixer and made some modifications to the recipe.

  • I multiplied the recipe by the number of people I was serving.
  • I decided on an oil to use.  This is important.  If I want a light and fluffy bread for a cold sandwich (which I did the first time), I use grapeseed oil.  If I want an english muffin consistency for a breakfast sandwich, then I use butter.
  • I wanted a flat bread, so I used a flat bottomed bowl for the bread instead of a coffee cup.
  • I  lowered the microwave time to 75 seconds.
  • I did not add any honey, since it was optional and I'd prefer to not use sweeteners.
 To make it easier for you to try, here is my modified recipe for 6 breakfast sandwiches:

2 Cups Almond Flour
6 Tablespoons Flax Meal
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 eggs
15 Tablespoons melted butter

Throw all of the ingredients in the mixer on low for about a minute.  If you want to mix by hand, whisk the eggs before adding to the other ingredients.

Grease the bottom of two ramekins or flat bottomed bowls.  Spread exactly 1/4 cup of the mixture evenly into the bottom of the bowl.  Microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds (microwaves may vary).  I have the second one ready to go in as soon as the first one is finished.  Once slightly cooled (maybe 30 seconds), use a butter knife to pop the bread out of the bowl. Repeat until you've used all of the batter.  You should end up with 12-14 pieces of bread.

Once I got my bread finished, I fried some eggs.  Actually, my husband did this part, and his system is probably the easiest way to do it.

  • Heat a skillet with 2 TBSP of butter
  • Fry one egg
  • Put the sandwich together in the following sequence: bread, cheese, egg, cheese, bread.  The part of the bread that was on the bottom of the bowl, should go on the outside of the sandwich.
  • Place the sandwich in the skillet (still hot, with some butter left over) for 30-45 seconds on each side, or long enough to melt the cheese without burning the bread.  Basically, make a grilled cheese sandwich with an egg in the middle of it.
  • Repeat until you've used all your bread.
The kids loved their sandwiches, I loved my sandwich and no one had a strange food reaction.  The bread toasted nicely, and held up to the sandwich very well.  My husband had a steak and skipped the sandwich (you can't win 'em all).

Now I'm imagining endless possibilities for this bread; individual pizzas, BLTs, cream cheese and nutella sandwiches.  YUMMY!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think, and honestly sometimes I need the encouragement.