Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Why do I love Him so much?

Someone asked me the other day, "Why do you love Jesus so much?"

It wasn't a compliment, it was kind of said in that "What's so special about you?" kind of way.

I would be lying if I say that I wasn't taken aback.  I'm sure if someone could hear my thoughts at that moment, that it wouldn't have been pretty (cue video of my head exploding).  After some time, being the introspective (obsessive) person that I am, I started asking myself the same question.  Why do I love Him so much?

How do you explain the why the ocean is deep?  How do you explain why a child's smile is beautiful?  Some things just are, and defy explanation.  Why Jesus is worthy of love, is just one of those things.  There is no describing it, but that won't stop me from trying.

Make no mistake, there is absolutely NOTHING so special about me that makes me love Him more.  It's all about how amazing He is!

He was willing to forgive my sin debt.

He was willing to PAY my sin debt.

He loves me in spite of my shortcomings and failures (and there are plenty).

That still isn't enough...that list...to describe all the reasons I love Jesus.  See, all of those things are true about every single person that has ever lived.  So why me?  Why *DO* I love Him so much?

Jesus addressed this very argument, with a Pharisee who was questioning a woman's outpouring of affection on Jesus.  The story is found in Luke 7:36-50.

You can read the story yourself, but I'll give you the rundown.

Jesus was eating at some religious official's house.  "Religious official" isn't really a just description, but let's say that this dude knew the rules and followed them.  He not only followed them, but he made sure other people followed them as well.  While Jesus was at the guys house, the town whore came in and poured a very expensive bottle of perfume on Jesus' feet.  She cried buckets of tears all over His feet, washed them with her hair and then put MORE perfume on His feet.

The religious dude was slightly confused, and questioned whether Jesus was legit.  Surely if Jesus KNEW what kind of woman was washing His feet, He would tell her to stop!

But Jesus didn't stop her!  Instead, He told a story to the religious dude, you know to straighten him out.  Then He did this:

"Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn’t offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didn’t greet me with a kiss, but from the time I first came in, she has not stopped kissing my feet. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. “I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” (Luke 7:44-47 NLT)"

Jesus' words, so simple and straight to the point, answered the question "Why do I love Him so much?"  I love him SO much, because I know that I need Him.  Because I know how broken, bitter, angry and sinful I would be without Him.  My sins -- and they are many -- have been forgiven, so I will show Him much love.  SO MUCH LOVE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think, and honestly sometimes I need the encouragement.